African Gabions (Pty) Ltd, South Africa celebrates 50 years and undergoes a name change.15/10/2007
Last MarchMaccaferri SA (Pty) Ltd celebrated the 50th anniversary of their presence in Southern Africa, with a function named “Bologna, South Africa” to underline the close relationship between the town who gave birth to the Parent Company and the country where Maccaferri SA has been working since half century.
From the humble beginnings of River and Sea Gabions, as the company was called in 1957, to the establishment of African Gabions in 1989, much has changed in the structure of this Italian based organisation as well as the name of the company which changed at the beginning of 2007 to Maccaferri SA (Pty) Ltd, in line with the vision to provide clients with a comprehensive range of solutions.
Today, Maccaferri Southern Africa has gone back to their founders name, to strengthen the image of a Group which wants to be identified as the leading force in geotechnical and mining engineering solutions.
At the function held at the factory and headquarter premises in Westmead, Pinetown, a delegation of 20 Italian dignitaries,as the Italian Ambassador inSouth Africa, Mr. Cevese, as testimonial together with the “sottosegretario” for the International Commerce Mr. Agostini, the Italian Ambassador in Pretoria, the Director of the Italian Trade Commission in Johannesburg, the Italian Consul in Durban, as well as Councillor of the Ethekwini Municipality were present.
A plaque commemorating the anniversary was unveiled as well as the new board with the Maccaferri logo.